Bariatric Surgery near Phoenix, AZ
Weight loss can be difficult for many people, no matter how well they work on their diets and exercise. If this is the case, Dr. Shawn Stevenson and his team at Agave Surgical Specialists may be able to help. As bariatric surgeons that have performed hundreds of procedures to patients near Phoenix and Scottsdale, AZ, they specialize in Weight Loss Surgery procedures such as:
Learn more below how the da Vinci platform can help you lose weight with minimal scarring and healing time.
da Vinci® Bariatric Surgery
da Vinci® Gastric Bypass
Bariatric surgery may be suggested to patients with a high Body Mass Index (BMI) and other medical conditions related to obesity.
Bariatric surgery can be done using open surgery through a large incision (cut). It can also be done using minimally invasive surgery – through a few small incisions – with traditional laparoscopy or da Vinci Surgery (da VinciGastric Bypass or da Vinci Gastric Sleeve Surgery).
Gastric bypass shrinks your stomach size and reroutes your digestive tract. During surgery, doctors divide your stomach to create a new, smaller stomach. The new stomach is attached to the small intestine and bypasses the larger part of your original stomach. Your new stomach is now much smaller — as is the amount of food it can hold.
During gastric sleeve surgery, also known as sleeve gastrectomy, most of your stomach is removed. As with gastric bypass, the smaller, sleeve-shaped stomach that remains is sealed and holds smaller amounts of food.
Why da Vinci Surgery?
The da Vinci System is a robotic-assisted surgical device that your surgeon is 100% in control of at all times. The da Vinci System gives surgeons:
- A 3D HD view inside your body
- Wristed instruments that bend and rotate far greater than the human hand
- Enhanced vision, precision and control
da Vinci Gastric Bypass Surgery offers the following potential benefits:
- Low rate of gastrointestinal leaks 1,2
- Short hospital stay 1,3,4
- Low risk of needing follow-up surgery 2,5
da Vinci Gastric Bypass Surgery offers the following potential benefits similar to traditional laparoscopy:
- Low risk of surgeon switching to open surgery 2,4,6
The da Vinci System has brought minimally invasive surgery to more than 3 million patients worldwide. da Vinci technology– changing the experience of surgery for people around the world.
Risks & Considerations Related to Bariatric Surgery (includesgastric bypass (stomach reduction surgery), sleeve gastrectomy and duodenal switch): leaking and/or narrowing at the spot where two parts of the bowel were reconnected, leaking from where the bowel is cut, malnutrition, dumping syndrome (food moves too quickly into small intestine), dehydration, need for supplementation of vitamins, minerals and protein.
Contraindications to endoscopic surgery include morbid obesity.
- Snyder BE, Wilson T, Leong BY, Klein C, Wilson EB. Robotic-assisted Roux-en-Y Gastric bypass: minimizing morbidity and mortality. Obes Surg. 2010 Mar;20(3):265-70. Epub 2009 Nov 3.
- Hagen ME, Pugin F, Chassot G, Huber O, Buchs N, Iranmanesh P, Morel P. Reducing Cost of Surgery by Avoiding Complications: the Model of Robotic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass. Obes Surg. 2011 May 3. [Epub ahead of print].
- Fourman MM, Saber AA. Robotic bariatric surgery: a systematic review. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2012 Jul;8(4):483-8. Epub 2012 Mar 29.
- Ayloo SM, Addeo P, Buchs NC,Shah G, Giulianotti, PC. Robot-assisted versus Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass: Is there a difference in outcomes? World Journal of Surgery, 2011, 35:637-642.
- Yu SC, Clapp BL, Lee MJ, Albrecht WC, Scarborough TK, Wilson EB. Robotic assistance provides excellent outcomes during the learning curve for laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: results from 100 robotic-assisted gastric bypasses. Am J Surg. 2006 Dec;192(6):746-9.
- Tieu K, Allison N, Snyder B, Wilson T, Toder M, Wilson E. Robotic-assisted Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: update from 2 high-volume centers. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2012 Jan 16. [Epub ahead of print].
PN 1002281 Rev D 10/2016
Important Safety Information
Serious complications may occur in any surgery, including da Vinci® Surgery, up to and including death. Individual surgical results may vary. Patients should talk to their doctor to decide if da Vinci Surgery is right for them. Patients and doctors should review all available information on non-surgical and surgical options in order to make an informed decision. Please also refer to http://www.daVinciSurgery.com/Safety for Important Safety Information.
©2018 Intuitive Surgical, Inc. All rights reserved. Product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders. The information on this website is intended for a United States audience only.
This website does not provide medical advice. If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
The materials on this website are for general educational information only. Information you read on this website cannot replace the relationship that you have with your healthcare professional. Intuitive Surgical does not practice medicine or provide medical services or advice and the information on this website should not be considered medical advice. You should always talk to your healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment. Health information changes quickly. Therefore, it is always best to consult with your healthcare provider.
If you have questions about the da Vinci® Surgical System or about surgical procedures conducted with the da Vinci Surgical System, consult a surgeon that has experience with the da Vinci Surgical System. A list of surgeons that have experience with the da Vinci Surgical System can be found in the Surgeon Locator.
Bariatric (Weight Loss) Services, Phoenix AZ
Agave Surgical Associates focuses on minimally invasive bariatric surgery, for minimal scarring and lesser recovery times. Learn more about Dr. Shawn Stevenson and his work here.