Heartburn & Acid Reflux Specialists in Arizona
Providing Expert Treatment in Chandler near the Phoenix area
Occasional heartburn is common in adults and should not cause alarm. Heartburn is caused by an irritation of the esophagus by stomach acid. Despite its name, heartburn has nothing to do with the heart. Seeking medical care for heartburn should be considered when heartburn is more frequent and interferes with a person’s daily life.
What are the Symptoms of Heartburn?
A common symptom of heartburn is acid in the stomach that refluxes into the esophagus and causes pain. Symptoms of heartburn tend to be more prevalent after large meals and this pain can worsen when lying down or bending over. Many people in Phoenix can mistake the burning sensation behind the sternum or breastbone as a symptom of a heart attack.
When to seek medical care:
- Heartburn occurring on a weekly basis.
- Symptoms continue while taking over-the-counter medications.
- Chest pain is experienced while laying down.
- Experiencing acid fluid in the back of the throat that causes a burning sensation.
- Difficulty swallowing.
- Persistent nausea and vomiting.
- Weight loss due to poor appetite or difficulty swallowing.
What are the Common Causes of Heartburn?
Common foods we eat and drink can stimulate increased stomach acid resulting in heartburn. Examples of foods and drinks that can cause heartburn are:
- Carbonated Drinks
- Acidic Juices (citrus drinks, pineapple juice, and apple juice)
- Acidic Foods (tomatoes, chocolate, grains, and sugar)
Treatment of Heartburn & Acid Reflux in Phoenix, AZ
If you are experiencing the symptoms of heartburn, the team at Agave Surgical Specialists may suggest antacids for the treatment of the occasional heartburn. In more serious cases, stronger medications and/or surgery may be needed.
Our Heartburn experts in Phoenix may also suggest lifestyle changes that may help ease your heartburn symptoms, such as:
- Maintaining a healthy weight.
- Avoiding foods that trigger your heartburn.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoiding lying down after your meal.
If you are suffering from heartburn, contact one of our physicians today at Agave Surgical Specialists today for any additional questions you have about treatment. You can call our Chandler Office at (602) 582-5233 or our Mesa Office at (480) 887-4895. Additionally, you can schedule your appointment online and we will confirm your appointment shortly afterward.