Hemorrhoid Treatment Phoenix
Hemorrhoids are itchy, swollen veins in the anal canal. Though the condition can be painful and frustrating, it’s usually treatable and not serious.
General surgeons Shawn Stevenson, DO, Van Leavitt, DO, and Gregory Robertson, MD are board-certified by the American Board of Surgery and have extensive experience treating patients with hemorrhoids. If you’re experiencing symptoms of hemorrhoids in the Phoenix area, don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with us.
What Causes Hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids can be caused by many things. Common causes include:
- Straining during bowel movements.
- Lifting heavy weights or objects.
- Anal sex
- Genetics – weaker veins and hemorrhoids can run in families.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Weakening of the tissue surrounding the anus that occurs with age.
- Pregnancy or childbirth
What Are the Symptoms of Hemorrhoids?
The symptoms you experience with hemorrhoids depends on the type of hemorrhoid you have. The two types are:
- External Hemorrhoids – External hemorrhoids occur when blood pools under the skin, forming a hard lump. They can be painful, unlike internal hemorrhoids. Other symptoms of external hemorrhoids include bleeding in stool and itching.
- Internal Hemorrhoids – The most common symptom of internal hemorrhoids is rectal bleeding. Other symptoms include itching, skin irritation and discomfort while passing bowel movements.
Hemorrhoids Treatment in Chandler
Hemorrhoids are typically treated with simple changes in diet and bowel habits. Most physicians will attempt to treat hemorrhoids with fixative procedures to reduce the blood supply, therefore decreasing the size of the hemorrhoid. If a large, internal hemorrhoid is present, a physician might choose to surgically remove the hemorrhoid with a hemorrhoidectomy.
Schedule a Hemorrhoids Consultation
The board-certified surgeons with Dignity Health Medical Group have extensive experience treating hemorrhoids. Contact our Chandler office at (602) 582-5233 or our Gilbert office at (480) 728-6590 to find out more about treating internal and external hemorrhoids, or request an appointment through our secure online form. We are located just a short drive from Phoenix and see patients from Mesa, Chandler, Tempe, Scottsdale, Gilbert, and the surrounding areas.